Decoding Why Few Girls Choose Science, Math
maff
2005-02-01 13:02:54 UTC
Decoding Why Few Girls Choose Science, Math
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52344-2005Jan31.html

By Valerie Strauss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 1, 2005; Page A07

In Sarah Wise's section of a computer systems laboratory at the elite
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, the
18-year-old senior is the only girl.

That's a better ratio, though, than in 17-year-old David Banh's
computational physics class at the Fairfax County school. It has only
boys.

Lawrence Summers
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/talk.origins/msg/f7028657eb5522b4
Milan
2005-02-01 15:09:50 UTC
Post by maff
Decoding Why Few Girls Choose Science, Math
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52344-2005Jan31.html
By Valerie Strauss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 1, 2005; Page A07
In Sarah Wise's section of a computer systems laboratory at the elite
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, the
18-year-old senior is the only girl.
That's a better ratio, though, than in 17-year-old David Banh's
computational physics class at the Fairfax County school. It has only
boys.
Lawrence Summers
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/talk.origins/msg/f7028657eb5522b4
Some years ago I was doing research at the University of Stockholm. There is
an underground station just outside the University. The footpath from the
station runs for about 50 metres and then bifurcates: one lane goes to the
science buildings and the other to the humanities'. You could observe the
people coming out of the tube station walking towards the University. And
you just knew that all the beautiful girls would take the road towards the
humanities area. And they did. Sad but true.

regards
Milan
John Wilkins
2005-02-01 22:09:13 UTC
Post by Milan
Post by maff
[...]
That can't be right. They told me the Darwinist conspiracy would bring
me riches and chicks...
--
John S. Wilkins ***@wilkins.id.au AA#2207
web: www.wilkins.id.au blog: evolvethought.blogspot.com
And John tasted that it was good.
Gary Bohn
2005-02-02 00:37:51 UTC
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Milan
Post by maff
[...]
You've been taken John, all the chicks and money go to the computer
geeks.
--
apatriot #23, aa #1779, Grand Poobah, EAC Department of Oxygen
Deprivation

Responsible for brain damage everywhere!

Gary Bohn

Science rationally modifies a theory to fit evidence, creationism
emotionally modifies evidence to fit the bible.
John Wilkins
2005-02-02 00:46:55 UTC
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Milan
Post by maff
[...]
Bastards! So *that's* why they all told me not to go into computing
professionally! I thought it was because I was a lousy programmer...
Gary Bohn
2005-02-02 02:29:47 UTC
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Milan
Post by maff
[...]
'Tain't so John, all programmers are lousy. It's from eating all those
nachos and drinking Dr. Pepper. They (we) just don't want the
competition.

Ever wondered why we use so many acronyms? It's to keep the language of
computer geeks from being usurped by the uninitiated commons.

Richard Forrest
2005-02-02 08:47:15 UTC
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Milan
Post by maff
the 18-year-old senior is the only girl.
That's a better ratio, though, than in 17-year-old David Banh's
computational physics class at the Fairfax County school. It has
only boys.
Lawrence Summers
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/talk.origins/msg/f7028657eb55
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Milan
22b 4
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by Gary Bohn
'Tain't so John, all programmers are lousy. It's from eating all those
nachos and drinking Dr. Pepper. They (we) just don't want the
competition.
Ever wondered why we use so many acronyms? It's to keep the language of
computer geeks from being usurped by the uninitiated commons.
When you tell people that TWAIN is an acronym for "Thing Without An
Interesting Name" (which I know may not be 100% acurate), you sometimes
see the dawning of a new understanding in their eyes.
Gary Bohn
2005-02-02 15:54:51 UTC
Post by maff
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Milan
Post by maff
only boys.
Lawrence Summers
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/talk.origins/msg/f7028657eb55
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Milan
22b 4
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by Gary Bohn
computer geeks from being usurped by the uninitiated commons.
When you tell people that TWAIN is an acronym for "Thing Without An
Interesting Name" (which I know may not be 100% acurate), you
sometimes see the dawning of a new understanding in their eyes.
My favorite is still the old 'recursive GNU'.

It's like a well aged fine fractal.
--
apatriot #23, aa #2179, Grand Poobah, EAC Department of Oxygen
Deprivation

Responsible for brain damage everywhere!

Gary Bohn

Science rationally modifies theories to fit the observed evidence.
Creationists emotionally modify the evidence to fit the bible.
Al Klein
2005-02-03 02:34:02 UTC
On 2 Feb 2005 15:54:51 GMT, Gary Bohn
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by Richard Forrest
When you tell people that TWAIN is an acronym for "Thing Without An
Interesting Name" (which I know may not be 100% acurate), you
sometimes see the dawning of a new understanding in their eyes.
My favorite is still the old 'recursive GNU'.
It's like a well aged fine fractal.
And enough to cause someone not in the know to have his eyeballs
recurse into his head.
--
"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
rukbat at verizon dot net
Gary Bohn
2005-02-03 04:13:52 UTC
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by Richard Forrest
When you tell people that TWAIN is an acronym for "Thing Without An
Interesting Name" (which I know may not be 100% acurate), you
sometimes see the dawning of a new understanding in their eyes.
My favorite is still the old 'recursive GNU'.
It's like a well aged fine fractal.
And enough to cause someone not in the know to have his eyeballs
recurse into his head.
It's quite fun to watch really.

Al Klein
2005-02-03 04:51:52 UTC
Post by Gary Bohn
Post by Richard Forrest
When you tell people that TWAIN is an acronym for "Thing Without An
Interesting Name" (which I know may not be 100% acurate), you
sometimes see the dawning of a new understanding in their eyes.
My favorite is still the old 'recursive GNU'.
It's like a well aged fine fractal.
And enough to cause someone not in the know to have his eyeballs
recurse into his head.
It's quite fun to watch really.
One recursion deserves another?
--
"I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the
type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his
rukbat at verizon dot net
david ford
2005-02-14 19:44:41 UTC
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Milan
Some years ago I was doing research at the University of Stockholm. There is
an underground station just outside the University. The footpath from the
station runs for about 50 metres and then bifurcates: one lane goes to the
science buildings and the other to the humanities'. You could observe the
people coming out of the tube station walking towards the University. And
you just knew that all the beautiful girls would take the road towards the
humanities area. And they did. Sad but true.
That can't be right. They told me the Darwinist conspiracy would bring
me riches and chicks...
Motivations for Continuing to Cling to Philosophy of Materialism, 1999
Paul Vitz, 2002 Benjamin Wiker
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=dford3-35qe6lF4orjsoU1%40individual.net
maff
2005-02-14 20:40:38 UTC
david ford wrote:
[...]

But where's the evidence for Christian fascist apologetics?
u***@hotmail.com
2005-02-14 22:47:41 UTC
Post by david ford
Post by david ford
Post by John Wilkins
Post by Milan
you just knew that all the beautiful girls would take the road towards the
humanities area. And they did. Sad but true.
That can't be right. They told me the Darwinist conspiracy would bring
me riches and chicks...
Motivations for Continuing to Cling to Philosophy of Materialism, 1999
Paul Vitz, 2002 Benjamin Wiker
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=dford3-35qe6lF4orjsoU1%40individual.net

There are, of course, financial and social and perhaps ...other motives
to pretend to be a converted sinner. I grew up in the tent revival
subculture; there are certainly true converts. People who used to be
drunks becoming insufferably self-righteous, that sort of thing. But
the more outrageous they claimed to have been before, the less likely
they are to stand up to investigation:

http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc44406/smwane/Warnke.htm

Kermit,
who gave up superstition for truth, and finds no honor in
self-deception.
Scott
2005-02-01 15:53:14 UTC
http://www.bbsonline.org/documents/a/00/00/05/55/
Fencingsax
2005-02-14 20:48:00 UTC
Post by maff
Decoding Why Few Girls Choose Science, Math
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52344-2005Jan31.html
By Valerie Strauss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 1, 2005; Page A07
In Sarah Wise's section of a computer systems laboratory at the elite
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, the
18-year-old senior is the only girl.
That's a better ratio, though, than in 17-year-old David Banh's
computational physics class at the Fairfax County school. It has only
boys.
Lawrence Summers
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/talk.origins/msg/f7028657eb5522b4
Did they mention how many sections there are? Those classes are pretty
damn small. And pretty damn advanced.
Part_Time_Troll
2005-02-15 04:07:17 UTC
Post by maff
Decoding Why Few Girls Choose Science, Math
http://europa.eu.int/comm/research/headlines/news/article_05_01_26_en.html

It was only in 2001 that the number of women physics undergraduates in the USA topped 20%.

http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~hal/women-enrollment-comm/final-report-ch1.html

http://www.ucsdguardian.org/cgi-bin/opinion?art=2005_01_24_02
In terms of the UCSD undergraduate body, it is hard to dispute the fact that males and females are in no way evenly distributed
across all majors. For instance, according to fall 2004 third-week statistics, females made up 13 percent of electrical and
computer engineering majors, and 24 percent of computer engineering majors. Contrast this to the 74 percent of psychology
majors and 74 percent of communication majors that are female. Let’s have a CSE/psychology mixer, yeah? Majors with a more
even distribution of the sexes include economics, political science and, gasp, math! And who would have known biology is
made up of 60 percent women?

http://www.menweb.org/kleinful.htm
includes 1994 stats

http://halogen.note.amherst.edu/~astudent/2004-2005/issue15/news/04.html
George said there tend to be an equal number of men and women enrolled in biology classes. “There are usually as many
women as men in my classes,” he said. “This semester I am teaching bio statistics and I have way more female students.”
George added that there are a few more female biology majors than male majors.

Professor of Physics Robert Hilborn said that there are more females than males in Physics 16 and 17, although the class is
largely composed of students pursuing biology and pre-med. According to Hilborn, in Physics 23 and 24, which are mostly
taken by physics and math majors, the male-to-female ratio is 50-50. Hilborn also said that in upper level physics there tended to
be more men than women, but the reason is unknown.

Neuroscience major Ashley Pecora ’06 said that her classes are predominantly female. “Based on memory, I would say women
dominate men in most of my science classes [in a ratio of] about 60 to 40,” she said.

Liz Staunton ’05, a math major, said that there is a gender difference in her math classes. “I think that the ratio of men-to-women
in most of math classes is probably 65 to 35,” she said. “It is probably close to the same ratio for math majors.”

http://www.mcgill.ca/reporter/36/05/gender/
Nick de Takacsy, chair of the University Admissions Committee (UAC), presented a report on the gender composition of
McGill's students.

rather old numbers
http://www.nald.ca/canorg/cclow/newslet/1991/Fall_v9/24.htm
Degrees granted and gender,
University of Saskatchewan 1989
Fencingsax
2005-02-15 05:15:53 UTC
Post by Part_Time_Troll
McGill's students.
rather old numbers
http://www.nald.ca/canorg/cclow/newslet/1991/Fall_v9/24.htm
Degrees granted and gender,
University of Saskatchewan 1989
I was actually referring to his use of TJHSST. My sisters go there,
several of my friends go there, it's a friggin awesome place. Hard
though.